One of the most stressful parts of choosing the right English course in the UK is knowing which visa you can, or should, use to enter the country.

At Ingla, we’re a British Council accredited school, so we can offer you advice on which visa to apply for and help you complete the process.


Below, you’ll find some of the most common visas that we deal with as a school. We hope you find this information useful, but if you have any questions related to visas, feel free to write to us at


If you would like to study English in the UK for up to 6 months (180 days), you can use a Standard Visitor Visa and take as many English courses as you want.

If you are travelling from abroad you might need a visa to enter the UK.

Please check here: if you need a visa to enter the UK.

If you would like to study English in the UK for up to 6 months (180 days), you can use a Standard Visitor Visa. This is the same visa you would use to enter the country as a tourist. In these 6 months, you can take as many English courses as you want at more than one school. Your application for the Standard Visitor Visa must have been completed on or after 1 December 2020.

You must apply for the Standard Visitor Visa from outside the UK. Click here to find out what documents you’ll need and how to apply. Ingla can give you a course confirmation letter to make the process easier, but it’s not necessary. Before you apply, check here if you need a visa.

The Short Term Study Visa is for you if you would like to study English in the UK for between 6 and 11 months. To apply for this visa you must have a visa letter from a British Council accredited school, like Ingla, showing that you are enrolled on a course. You must also prove that you have enough money to live in the UK for the length of your course because you can’t work with a Short-Term Study Visa. While in the UK you can only study on the course for which you applied.  After your English course is finished you can stay in the UK an extra 30 days, and then you must leave.

An STS Visa costs £186. You also have to pay a £470 health charge so you can use the National Health Service (NHS) while you’re living in the UK. To understand all the rules and regulations about STS visas click here, or write to so we can help you come to the UK to learn English.

Family Visas are for the spouse, partner, fiance / fiancee, child or relative of somebody who is permanently settled in the UK. This visa is for people who plan on staying in the UK for more than 6 months. It must be renewed after 2 ½ years of living in the UK.


For this visa you must prove your income and provide the UK’s Border Agency with your documents. The full details of what you must do can be found here.

When you first apply for a Family Visa you must prove that your level of English is A1. When you renew this visa after 2 ½ years, you must show that your level of English is A2. To do this, you must take one of the UK Border Agency’s approved English-language tests. The Trinity GESE Speaking and Listening Exams are on the list of accepted tests. At Ingla, we are an official Trinity Preparation Centre, and we have helped many people pass these exams and secure their visa.

If you are an EU citizen (not including Ireland) and you were living in the UK before 1 January 2021, you can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living and working here.


If you would like to come to the UK for 6 months or less as an EU citizen you won’t need a visa, but you can’t work in the UK. The purpose of your visit must be to study English, see the UK as a tourist, or go on a business trip. If you wish to study for more than 6 months, Ingla can help you with your visa application. Contact us at to get more information about how you can study English in London.

How to apply

In most countries the visa application is submitted online through a visa application centre.

You can find visa application centres in your country here:

For full information on visa requirements please visit the UKBA website.

Our Process

If you’re not in the UK, send us an email or a quick message from our contact page.

We will send you an application form and an electronic placement test.

You will need to send both documents completed back to us along with the scanned copy of your passport photo page.

Once you are accepted on the course and pay the deposit of minimum 50% of the course fee you will be issued our Course Confirmation Letter  and the confirmation of your level of English. You must include these 2 documents in your visa application.

In order to confirm your language ability we might need to contact you via Skype, so please include your skype contact details in your email.

The letter of acceptance can be posted to your home address in your country at an additional charge.