English for Catering
This is a 3-week short course at Ingla. Each lesson is 90 minutes long and takes place in the afternoon.
This course is most effective if you complete the whole module from beginning to end.
Who is English for Catering for?
English for Catering is a fun and interactive class for people who work, or want to work, in the catering industry in the UK.
This course is best for students whose English level is A1 or A2 and want to boost their skills specifically for this type of work.
Lessons in English for Catering will focus particularly on the speaking and listening skills necessary to work in a restaurant or hotel while supplementing this with some practical grammar and vocabulary practice related to this field.
- Question formation
- “Would like” for polite requests and questions
- Modals and how to use them in the catering industry
- Future forms that customers use to order
- Present Simple to describe a menu
Vocabulary and Topics
- Different drinks and wine
- Describing food to customers
- Being polite while serving
- Responding to customers’ requests
- Different payment methods
- Health and safety awareness
By the end of this course you’ll be able to…
- Understand different dishes and parts of a menu
- Explain specials, desserts, and drinks to customers
- Confidently take an order from a customer
- Understand different ways a customer might make an order
- Offer help to a customer
- Suggest a variety of cheese and wine pairs
- Make a guest feel welcome